Need financial aid? Start Here!
The first step in obtaining financial aid is applying! The 2022-2023 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the California Dream Act Application (CADAA) open on October 1st, 2021. For more information about applying, click here.
- The 2022-2023 financial aid applications are based on 2020 income information or the Prior-Prior Year (PPY), since most people have already filed their 2020 tax returns.
- You cannot use your 2019 or 2021 tax information. If your family's income has changed significantly, please complete your application with 2020 information and contact our office for further assistance.
- The IRS Data Retrieval Tool is available for you to import your tax information directly into your FAFSA
- If you use the DRT, we'll collect less documentation if you're selected for verification
- Don't forget to include our school code: 041271
- Your FSA ID (for FAFSA filers)
- Your Social Security number, Alien Registration number, or CSAC ID
- Your parents' Social Security numbers if you are a dependent student
- 2020 Federal tax returns, including IRS W2 information for yourself and your parents if dependent, or spouse if you are married
- Records of your untaxed income (ex. child support received, interest income, and veterans noneducation benefits)
Our office will be available to help you complete your FAFSA or CADAA in three ways this year:
Start Here Virtual Workshops
Financial Aid Advisors will be available to help you complete your FAFSA or CADAA at our Start Here Financial Aid Application Workshops. Because of precautions taken due to COVID-19, we have transitioned our in-person workshops to be held virtually over Zoom. These “drop-in” style workshops will be open for any UC Merced student and UC Merced applicants to attend. We encourage students to start their applications, then attend a workshop whenever they need help answering a question.
Start your application online and use the Help (?) icons to answer questions. If you get stumped by a question and you need assistance from a financial aid advisor, skip it, then visit us at a workshop! Join the Zoom meeting with your questions ready. You’ll enter a waiting room and be assigned a number. Then, you’ll be called into a private breakout room with a financial aid advisor, who will help answer the specific applications questions you have. We value your privacy! Your information will not be shared with anyone but the financial aid advisor you’re speaking with.
Note: Since we’re trying to serve as many students as possible, we can only answer questions pertaining to financial aid applications during these workshops. If you have other financial aid-related questions, or general questions, please contact the Students First Center at (209) 228-7178 or email us at email@example.com.
Register for a workshop by clicking a date below:
If you have feedback or suggestions about our workshop offerings, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Financial Aid Website
We’ve published helpful resources that will help you answer common application questions. Check out the resources on our website below: