Need financial aid? Start Here!
The first step in obtaining financial aid is applying! The 2023-2024 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the California Dream Act Application (CADAA) open on October 1st, 2022. For more information about applying, click here.
2023-24 Financial Aid Application Information
- The 2023-2024 financial aid applications are based on 2021 income information or the Prior-Prior Year (PPY), since most people have already filed their 2021 tax returns.
- You cannot use your 2020 or 2022 tax information. If your family's income has changed significantly, please complete your application with 2021 information and contact our office for further assistance.
- The IRS Data Retrieval Tool is available for you to import your tax information directly into your FAFSA
- If you use the DRT, we'll collect less documentation if you're selected for verification
- Don't forget to include our school code: 041271
What You Need to Apply
- Your FSA ID (for FAFSA filers)
- Your Social Security number, Alien Registration number, or CSAC ID
- Your parents' Social Security numbers if you are a dependent student
- 2021 Federal tax returns, including IRS W2 information for yourself and your parents if dependent, or spouse if you are married
- Records of your untaxed income (ex. child support received, interest income, and veterans noneducation benefits)
Financial Aid Application Help
Our office will be available to help you complete your FAFSA or CADAA in the following ways:
Start Here Virtual Workshops
Financial Aid Advisors will be available to help you complete your FAFSA or CADAA at our Start Here Financial Aid Application Workshops. Because of precautions taken due to COVID-19, we have transitioned our in-person workshops to be held virtually over Zoom. These “drop-in” style workshops will be open to any UC Merced student. We encourage students to start their applications, then attend a workshop whenever they need help answering a question.
Start your application online and use the Help (?) icons to answer questions. If you get stumped by a question and you need assistance from a financial aid advisor, skip it, then visit us at a workshop! Join the Zoom meeting with your questions ready. You’ll enter a waiting room and be assigned a number. Then, you’ll be called into a private breakout room with a financial aid advisor, who will help answer the specific applications questions you have. We value your privacy! Your information will not be shared with anyone but the financial aid advisor you’re speaking with.
Note: Since we’re trying to serve as many students as possible, we can only answer questions pertaining to financial aid applications during these workshops. If you have other financial aid-related questions, or general questions, please contact the Students First Center at (209) 228-7178 or email us.
If you need further application help, please contact the Students First Center.
If you have feedback or suggestions about our workshop offerings, please email us at email@example.com.
FAFSA Helpful Resources
2023-24 FAFSA on the Web Worksheet
IRS Data Retrieval Tool Instructions
Who's My Parent? Infographic/Video
FAFSA Parent Signature Page Instructions
CADAA Helpful Resources
CADAA Common Application Issues
CADAA Frequently Asked Questions
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) has gone mobile! You can now complete the FAFSA on your smartphone or tablet device! Visit the FAFSA website for more information.