If you or your parents have experienced a significant decline in income, you may submit a Special Circumstances Appeal after you have received your initial financial aid award notification for the academic year.
We recommend that you accept your initial financial aid package as is to ensure your bill is paid on time. If any changes are warranted after your appeal is reviewed, they would be made retroactively to the start of the academic year.
Types of circumstances that can be considered for a Special Circumstances Appeal:
- Loss of employment
- Other loss of income
- Marital separation or divorce
- Disability or retirement
- Death of a parent or spouse
- One-time payment received
How to Apply
We recommend that you communicate with one of our Financial Aid Advisors about your special circumstances before starting the appeal process.
Fall 2019, Spring 2020, and Summer 2020
Submit a 2019-20 Special Circumstance Appeals form and the listed required documentation.
Fall 2020, Spring 2021, and Summer 2021
Submit a 2020-21 Special Circumstance Appeals form and the listed required documentation.
Things to Consider
- Please be advised that once you have initiated a Special Circumstances Appeal, your financial aid application will be selected for a process called verification. The verification requirements will be added to your MyChecklist.
- Submitting a Special Circumstances Appeal does not guarantee that your financial aid eligibility will change. Your aid package could remain the same, increase or decrease based on the documentation submitted to our office.
- If you decide not to proceed with the Special Circumstances Appeal, you will still be required to submit all required documents for the verification process.