Skip to content Skip to navigation
See our Campus Ready site for most up to date information about the fall semester.Campus ReadyCOVID Help
Helping Students Succeed

Submitting Tax Information

*The IRS has stopped processing transcript requests by mail until further notice.*  

IRS Data Retrieval Tool (Preferred)

The IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) electronically transfers your federal tax return information into your FAFSA form.

  1. Log in to your current FAFSA form or start a new application at 
  2. In the finances section of the online form, you will see a "Link to IRS" button if you are eligible to use the IRS DRT. 
  3. Click the "Link to IRS" button and log in with your FSA ID to be transferred to the IRS to retrieve your info. 
  4. Once at the IRS site, enter your information exactly as it appears on your federal income tax return and click the "Submit" button. 
  5. Check the "Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA form" box, and click the "Transfer Now" button. 
  6. You will know that your federal tax return information has been successfully transferred because the words "Transferred from the IRS" will display in place of the IRS information in your FAFSA form. 

The IRS DRT can be used by both students and parents. Click here to learn more about the IRS DRT. 

Tax filers can also request a transcript of their federal tax return or verification of non-filing letter free of charge using one of the methods below.

Submit Your Tax Return

You can satisfy your tax document requirement by submitting a copy of your tax return. Feel free to upload your tax return directly to your checklist, or send us a copy via fax. Click here for an example of what we're looking for. Here are some guidelines for submitting tax returns to our office.

  • For the 2020-21 academic year, we're required to verify 2018 tax information, so please submit your 2018 Federal Tax Return 
  • If your tax return is accompanied by a Schedule 1, 2, or 3, please submit those along with your return
    • Click here for a guide to determine if a Schedule 1, 2, or 3 was filed
  • Tax returns must be signed by the filer, or have the preparer's PTIN/EIN to be accepted
    • Please sign with a wet or drawn signature, as we do not accept typed signatures
  • When submitting tax returns, please ensure that the return is clear enough to read and that no lines or figures are cut off

Download Transcript or Letter Online


  • To use this service, you will need:    
    • Your SSN, date of birth, filing status and mailing address from latest tax return
    • Access to your email account
    • Your personal account number from a credit card, mortgage, home equity loan, home equity line of credit or car loan
    • A mobile phone with your name on the account
  1. Select “Get Your Tax Record,” then “Request Online”.
  2. Once successfully validated, you should have immediate access to view, download, and print transcripts or verification of non-filing letter.

Special Populations

Victims of IRS Tax-Related Identity Theft

An individual who was the victim of IRS tax-related identity theft must provide:

  • A Tax Return Data Base View (TRDBV) transcript obtained from the IRS and
  • A statement signed and dated by the tax filer indicating that he or she was a victim of IRS tax-related identity theft and that the IRS is aware of the tax-related identity theft.

Amended IRS Income Tax Returns

An individual who filed an amended IRS income tax return for the tax year 2018 must provide:

  • A 2017 IRS Tax Return Transcript (that will only include information from the original tax return) and
  • A signed copy of the 2018 IRS Form 1040X, “Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return,” that was filed with the IRS.

Foreign Income Tax Returns

An individual who filed or will file an income tax return with the relevant taxing authority of a U.S. territory, commonwealth, or with a foreign central government must provide:

  • A transcript that was obtained at no cost from the relevant taxing authority of a U.S. territory (Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands) or commonwealth (Puerto Rico and the Northern Mariana Islands), or a foreign central government, that includes all of the tax filer’s income and tax information required to be verified for tax year 2018; or
  • If a transcript cannot be obtained at no cost from the relevant taxing authority, a signed copy of the 2018 income tax return(s).