Outside or External Private Scholarships can be found here by selecting “External” under “Opportunities” in the drop-down menu. These scholarships are not associated with, nor endorsed by, UC Merced. Although we screen these listings to eliminate any offers that do not appear to be legitimate, inclusion in this list does not indicate an endorsement or recommendation of any kind. Students should review all scholarship information carefully, especially before submitting an application fee of any kind.
Incoming and continuing students are encouraged to check back periodically to see if there are new External scholarships opportunities. As UC Merced and the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships become aware of outside agency scholarship opportunities, we will update the listing.
To avoid being a victim of a scholarship scam, students and their families should keep in mind the following tips:
- If you have to pay money to get money, it might be a scam.
- If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Spend time, not money.
- Never invest more than a postage stamp to get information about a scholarship.
- Nobody can guarantee that you will win a scholarship.
- Legitimate scholarship foundations do not charge a fee.
- If you are suspicious of an offer, it is usually with good reason.
Outside Scholarship Databases
Below are some of the more popular personalized scholarship search websites:
- Colleges of Distinction
- Financial Aid for Minorities
- Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU)
- Immigrants Rising
- My Undocumented Life
- Sallie Mae Scholarship Program
- Scholarship Hunter
- Students Rise Above
If you are notified you have been awarded a scholarship you will first need to report that to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships so we can make a note on your financial aid awards that funds are expected. You can disclose this through UC Merced Connect by clicking on the Add/View Resource button at the bottom of the Award Offer page. We will then add that award as an “Estimate” to your financial aid award package within 5-7 business days. You will receive an email when that has been completed. “Estimated” funds will not be used or applied to your balance until the funds are actually received from the Agency.
Some scholarship agencies will mail the check directly to UC Merced and we will apply it to your award package. Some agencies will mail the check to the student. Either way you should report the funds through your portal as listed above.
If the check is made payable to:
- UC Regents — Take or mail the check to the OFAS (see address below) along with any accompanying information.
- You and the university — endorse (sign) the back of the check and take or mail it to the Cashier's Office (see address below) with a copy of the letter you received.
- Just You — you can deposit the check into your bank account and use funds for your educational related expenses.
Once Your Check is Received
Once the OFAS receives your scholarship check, it will be incorporated into your financial aid package within two weeks and an email will be sent to your UC Merced email address detailing the adjustments. If the check is made payable to UC Regents or is co-payable to you and UC Regents and you have endorsed the check, the scholarship will disburse to your UC Merced student account just like any other form of financial aid (only after all requirements are completed, only if you are enrolled, no earlier than 10 days prior to the start of instruction, etc.)
All checks will be split half in fall and half in spring, unless otherwise specified by the donor.
Whenever possible, scholarships are used to offset unmet need and/or reduce loan or work-study eligibility first. Grants and scholarships are only reduced when necessary based on federal, state or institutional packaging policies.
Information for Outside Agency Scholarship Providers
Please send scholarship checks made payable to UC Regents or Regents of the University of California to:
University of California, Merced
Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships
5200 N. Lake Road Merced, CA 95343
- Identify the student’s name and 9 digit student ID number in the memo section of the check if available.
- Let us know if the check is for one semester, should be divided between two semesters or if a second payment is coming next semester.
- Provide contact information in case we have questions and need to contact you.