Parent PLUS Loan Overview
If you are the parent of an undergraduate student attending UC Merced, you may be eligible to apply and receive a PLUS Loan. A parent is not guaranteed to receive the PLUS Loan. Upon application, the Department of Education (DOE) will evaluate your credit and approve or deny your application based on your credit score and history. UC Merced is not involved in the credit decision made by the DOE. If you have any questions regarding the pre-approval process for the PLUS Loan, please contact the Department of Education. For more information regarding the Parent PLUS loan, see PLUS loan.
Obtaining a Parent PLUS Loan
- Students must accept the portion of the loan their parents would like to borrow through the student portal.
- The parent borrower will then need to apply for the Parent PLUS loan by logging into the Direct Loans website using their own social security number and FSA ID. Once the request process is complete, a credit check will be run.
Approved PLUS Loans
If the credit check is approved, the parent borrower must then complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN). Click here to complete an MPN.
Denied PLUS Loans
If you are denied a PLUS Loan, you may still be able to borrow the loan if a credit-worthy co-signer is approved by the DOE. If you are denied the PLUS Loan and wish to use a co-signer, please contact the DOE to which you applied. If you are denied the PLUS loan and do not wish to provide a co-signer, your student may then be eligible to receive an additional Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. Your student must contact the OFAS to find out how to receive the additional Unsubsidized Stafford Loan due to PLUS credit denial.
- If you wish to borrow a different amount than what is offered in your student's initial award package, please contact the OFAS prior to completing the MPN.
- If all steps in the Parent PLUS Loan application process are not completed, a delay in processing or disbursing funds could result.
- If your student's financial aid awards package on the UC Merced Portal does not include a PLUS Loan, the student should contact us to request that a PLUS Loan is included in their awards.
- University Of California Policy on Education Loan Practices
- Parent PLUS Loans
- Interest rates and fees
- Repayment options