Types of Grant Aid

Grants are awarded on the basis of financial need and do not have to be repaid. Grant programs for both entering and continuing UC Merced students are awarded each year.

Federal Grants

  • Federal Pell Grants are available to undergraduate financial aid applicants who have not yet received a baccalaureate degree.
  • Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants (SEOG) are need-based grants provided to low-income undergraduate students to promote access to postsecondary education. Priority is given to students with exceptional financial need. 

State Grants

Cal Grants are offered by the State of California to residents of California who are U.S. citizens or qualify under the California Dream Act. The California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) determines eligibility for grants, which are based on academic achievement and financial need. Students must meet GPA requirements and family income and asset requirements. If the student is eligible for a Cal Grant and a different institution is listed on their award notification, the student must submit a Grant Record Change form (G-10). If the student is eligible for a Cal Grant at UC Merced, the award will transfer and the student will receive an updated communication from CSAC. 

  • Cal Grant A is available to entering and continuing students who are enrolled at least half time and is awarded based on financial need and GPA. You must be a California resident, undergraduate student with a minimum GPA of 3.0, and meet the family income and asset requirements of the program. Awards cover system wide fees.
  • Cal Grant B is initially awarded to low-income students who are enrolled at least half time. First-year awards are usually limited to non-fee costs: subsistence stipends for books, supplies and living expenses. A Cal Grant B may also cover system wide fees when renewed. You must be a California resident, undergraduate student with a minimum GPA of 2.0, and meet the family income, asset and disadvantaged background requirements of the program. 

Institutional Grants

Bobcat Grants are available for eligible undergraduate students with funding provided by the Regents of the University of California and the State of California. Award amounts are determined based on a student's Cost of Attendance, family income and financial need and are impacted by the amount of a student’s federal and state grant eligibility, waivers, scholarships, and expected parent contribution.  To qualify, students must meet the Financial Aid Application priority deadline of March 2 prior to the award year and all relevant document deadlines. Students must also otherwise qualify for student financial aid.