Study Abroad

Yes! Financial aid is available for students who study abroad. The type and amount of financial aid you are eligible to receive depends on your study abroad program. If you enroll in a University of California sponsored study abroad program, you may be eligible for financial aid through the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships. You will be considered for all aid programs (federal, state and UC Merced institutional aid) depending on the cost of your study abroad program.

Applying to Participate in a UC Merced Study Abroad Program

The UC Merced International Center is the portal to hundreds of study abroad opportunities that are available. To apply for a study abroad program, visit the UC Merced Study Abroad website.

How Do I Apply for Financial Aid for Study Abroad?

Education Abroad Program (EAP) students apply for financial aid in the same way as any other undergraduate student applying for financial aid. Students participating in a summer EAP program must also complete a Summer Financial Aid application

How Will I Receive My Financial Aid?

The International Office will notify the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships of the term and program you will participate in. The financial aid advisor will use your program's budget to determine your financial aid awards. The advisor will schedule a meeting to review your awards. Our office will notify the University Wide EAP Office (UOEAP) of the financial aid awarded to you. Those awards committed by our office will be credited to your UOEAP account. UOEAP program fees will be deducted from your financial aid. If there is a remaining credit balance, the money is disbursed to you in one payment or a series of payments by the UOEAP office. For more information regarding disbursements, visit the UOEAP website. Disbursements can be automatically deposited in a bank account that you designate to UOEAP or a check will be sent to the U.S. address indicated.

Additional Scholarship Resources

Additional scholarship resources information is available by visiting the UC Merced EAP website and the University of California Education Abroad Program website.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a visa letter? Do I need one?

Some students need to show proof of financial support in order to receive a visa to study abroad. You can request a letter by completing a request online using the Study Abroad Financial Support Letter Request Form. Please allow 3-5 business days for processing.

How do I designate a relative or other responsible party to act on my behalf?

EAP students are strongly encouraged to designate a relative or other responsible party to act on their behalf by completing a Power of Attorney. The person assigned Power of Attorney has the authority to conduct financial transactions in your place while you are abroad. This arrangement cannot be established once the student is abroad, as it requires notarization.

What if I previously declined my loans and now I need to accept them for my study abroad program?

If you have previously declined your loans and you still have remaining loan eligibility, you can complete an Adjustment to Loan worksheet to reestablish your loans. That worksheet can be found on our home page under the Forms section.