Master Promissory Note
You are hereHome › Master Promissory Note
Parents and students who are borrowing for the first time through the Direct Loan Program (also know as Stafford loans), must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) in order to receive their loan funds. The MPN authorizes the university to credit the loan funds to your UC Merced account for multiple years.
The person borrowing completes the MPN:
- Parents — Direct PLUS loan
- Graduate/Professional Students — Direct Grad PLUS loan
- Students — Direct loan (subsidized or unsubsidized)
Completing your MPN for Direct Loans
Before completing the MPN, be sure you have collected this information:
1. Your FSA ID
- If you are a new user or have forgotten your FSA ID, click here
- Students must log in using their own FSA ID to complete Master Promissory Notes (MPNs)
Use of another person's FSA ID constitutes fraud. Use only your own FSA ID information.
2. Personal Information
- Permanent address
- Mailing address (if different from permanent address)
- Your driver's license number
- Telephone number
3. School Name
4. Reference information for two people with different U.S. addresses who have known you for at least 3 years. The first reference should be a parent or guardian.
- Name of each reference
- Address of each reference
- Email address for each reference
- Telephone number of each reference
- Relationship of each reference to the student
To complete your MPN for Direct Loans online:
- Go to studentloans.gov
- Sign in under Manage My Direct Loan.
- After signing in, select Complete the Master Promissory Note. Select the correct type of loan.
- Be sure to select the correct name and address for UC Merced.
University of California, Merced
5200 N. Lake Road
Merced, CA 95343-5603
- How to Apply
- Types of Aid
- Receiving Your Aid
- Contact Us