Transfer Students

Welcome, transfer students! Financial aid at UC Merced is awarded to transfer students in much the same way it is awarded to other undergraduate students so be sure to review the how to apply section for new and prospective students.

In addition to that information, there are a few important things you should keep in mind that are unique to transfer students:

  • Transfer students may or may not receive the same type or amount of aid that they were awarded at their previous institution. Not all financial aid transfers from one school to another. There are several steps that transfer students should follow to ensure that they receive financial aid accurately and in a timely manner.
  • Many transfer students experience a decrease in their personal income when they transfer from another institution. If this is true of your situation, you must complete the Appeal Form for Special Circumstances (please include all supportive documentation) and return it to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.
  • Notify your previous school that you are transferring to UC Merced.
  • Respond in a timely manner to requests for information from the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.
  • If you have a Cal Grant or a Cal Grant on reserve:
  • If you have a student loan:
    • Complete any exit requirements at your former institution.
    • Inform your lender(s) that you are transferring to UC Merced.