International Students

To qualify for federal, state and most university funding, you must be a U.S. Citizen or an eligible non-citizen, and you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or you must qualify under the California Dream Act of 2011 and complete a California Dream Act application.

However, some financial aid is available for international students who are not eligible to submit a FAFSA:

  • Global Grants are available to qualified international undergraduate students in a UC Merced sponsored F-1 visa status. The grant is offered to offset a portion of UC non-resident tuition and fees for new and transfer international students. Please see the Global Grant website for more information.
  • Throughout the year, a number of outside organizations contact our office to publicize their scholarship opportunities. To help our students access the many available scholarships, we maintain an outside agency scholarship list serve to notify students of these opportunities. The selection criteria, application process and deadlines for these external scholarships vary, so please review the listings and associated websites for more detailed information.
  • For international students who need additional financial assistance, the University of California maintains information on alternative/private loan options. Please refer to the lender list provided specifically for international students.

Graduate International Students

Please contact the Graduate Division for information on available student financial support for international graduate students.